These Plant-Based Lentil Patties Give Real Burgers A Run For Their Money
The sun might be setting on summertime, but it's never too late in the season for a cookout. Burgers and hot dogs are the traditional grilled fare, but that doesn't mean plant-based eaters can't get in on the fun. Case in point: These curried red lentil burgers from mbg Collective member Phoebe Lapine of the blog Feed Me Phoebe.
In a delicious recipe recently shared on Instagram, Lapine revealed these burgers are one of her favorite healthy dishes, plus they're easy to modify to suit dietary needs.
"When I went back to eating legumes after the low-FODMAP diet, red lentils were one of the first that I was able to successfully add back into my rotation," she explains. "The tactic I was able to use was incorporating small amounts of red lentils into my recipes, using them as an accent instead of the main event. Which is exactly the role they play in these quinoa and lentil burgers."
For the full recipe, head to Feed Me Phoebe and try this gluten-free lentil burger for yourself.
Curried Red Lentil Burgers With Mint Raita
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- ½ cup red lentils
- ⅓ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup chopped mint or cilantro, divided
- 1 cup full-fat yogurt or coconut yogurt
- 1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed
- 1 small Kirby or Persian cucumber, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 gluten-free burger buns, toasted